Using a glue gun for wax stamping is a fun and efficient way to be creative and add a personalised touch to your stationery. Glue gun stamping is perfect if you're stamping more than one seal at a time, as it's much faster than using a candle & spoon. We definitely recommend this method for batch wax stamping such as wedding or event invitations. A glue gun also allows for better control of the wax, making it easier to achieve a perfect seal.
What you’ll need:
- A low-heat glue gun
- Wax sticks that fit your glue gun
- A muslin or tea towel
- A wax stamp
- A silicone mat (if you are creating wax seal stickers)
- A jar lid to catch wax drips from your glue gun
Tip: You can use an ice pack, a bag of ice, or plain ice. Pop it in a bowl and tip out the water as it melts.
Getting yourself set up:
- Insert your wax stick into your glue gun, plug it in and set it to the lowest temperature.
- Have more wax sticks nearby so you can keep feeding them into your glue gun as you need them.
- Grab your ice and towel.
- Place your stamp directly onto the ice, brass facing down.
- Place an upside-down jar lid underneath your glue gun nozzle while it heats up and while it rests between uses. This will catch any wax that drips.
Once your wax is dripping from your glue gun, it's ready to use. Pump a few dollops of wax onto your surface.
Take your wax stamp off the ice and dab it on your towel to get rid of any moisture (or droplets will show up on your wax seal). Make sure the wax stamp design is at the right angle and not upside down by taking a quick peek at the brass. Resting your wrist on the table for support, press your stamp firmly into the centre of the wax.
Tip: If your wax is bubbling or too runny, your wax is too hot. Switch off or unplug your glue gun for about thirty seconds.
Rest your stamp in the wax for a few seconds, then lift it upwards. Make sure to place the stamp directly back on top of the ice so it stays chilled if you are using it again.
Tip: If your wax is sticking to your stamp, it means your stamp is too hot from using it on the heated wax. Make sure to leave your stamp on the ice for a few seconds between stamping so it is fully chilled.
Don't forget to switch your gun off once you have finished!
The great thing about using a glue gun is that it's quick and mess-free. You don't need much equipment to create beautiful, personalised wax seals. We really hope this post has been helpful to you. Please feel free to get in touch with us if you have any questions - we would be thrilled to help you in any way that we can!